Wednesday 16 April 2014

Day trip to San Diego

Today we caught Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner to San Diego and back - 2 hrs each way. The view across the beaches is awesome - surfers, swimmers, pelicans and dolphins all within view as the train raced along the beachfront.

I had a seat to myself on the way down...however on the way back.... more on that later....

We all visited the San Diego Model Railroad Museum at Balboa Park, then two of us went on the USS Midway for a look around. Me and Jamie were about to walk back to the Santa Fe depot to catch our train when a guy on the 3 seater bike pulled up and asked if we wanted a ride - 10 bucks later and we were on our way. Just as I said to Jamie" I wish Chris and Judy could see us now", there they were at the station - Chris promptly getting out his video camera and Judy cracking up at our antics.

The train was chocka full as we loaded up at San Diego and my chances of having a seat to myself were rapidly dwindling.  The thought of being jammed up against the window by an unclean sweaty behemoth ravaged my imagination - until....a 20 something Canadian lass on an 8 day trip with her mother (and had just about had enough of her) sat down beside me, instead of sitting with her mum. Excellent trip home talking to both of them.

Dinner again on the platform.

Excellent day, no photos or video.

No comments:

Post a Comment